Sunday, December 16, 2007

Skykomish Report

  • Date: Saturday December 16, 2007
  • Where: Skykomish River Above Gold Bar
  • Flows: CFS 2800 and rising
  • Temps: Upper 30’s to low 40’s
  • Patterns: Various Steelhead patterns. Top Producer Purple ESL

We started fishing above Goldbar about 8:30 AM and the rain was dumping all morning. Water was off color so we were using bigger patterns such as ESL’s and popsicles, even tried some egg patterns. After 15 minutes of fishing, Fred has a fish on. As I looked down river his rod is buckled over and he is trying to get line on the reel to fight the fish. At that moment the winter steel decides to make a run up river this is when the fly jars loose and the fish is gone…

Next, we fish another stretch of river. As my line is swinging through a run I feel the line stop and a couple headshakes… Fish on! Hoping to rope my first winter run of the year I fight the fish but to my surprise bring to the bank a late run Coho buck. I get him to shore and dislodge the barb-less purple ESL and send him on his way. We left the river about 1:00 PM.

No steel to hand but I’ll be back next week.

No comments: